Saturday, June 17, 2006

An Awakening

I recommend this article. It's written by a woman who went from Christianity to fundamentalist Islam and back again. It's a look into the experiences of a real person who actually embraced Islam but simply couldn't remain, as she had fortunately retained the ability to think and reason for herself.

Read it and see what Farrah Khalil experienced.

It's a perspective I find balanced, respectful, reasoned and honest.

Here's a taste:
There was also the fact that all of the Egyptian people I met were very humble and kind. I rationalized that these were the type of wonderful people that the Islamic faith produced. I completely blocked out the fact that I had subconsciously started to develop a tiny hatred for Jewish people by living in Cairo. This was due to comments I heard by random people as well as a shirt I saw an Egyptian man wearing one day. I will never forget the gray hooded shirt with a bloody knife stabbing through Israel detailed largely
on the back. The shirt stopped me in my tracks and I think it was then that I started to question my Muslim faith.


(...)

Life went on as usual and I continued to practice Islam unfailingly until one night my husband received a very frightening e-mail that planted a tiny seed of thought in my mind. Someone had sent him the video of Nick Berg being beheaded via the internet. Although I refused to watch the horrific sight, I could still hear Nick Berg’s deathly screams as Islamic terrorists slowly sawed his head off. Even my husband, who was born a Muslim, seemed saddened and shocked as the hooded men chanted, “Allah Akbar,” while killing poor Nick Berg. I began to cry softly for Nick Berg and the terrorists
who truly thought they were doing their duty to Allah by beheading another human being. I was confused and terrified as I tried desperately to block his screams out of my mind.


(...)

I honestly believe that Allah is the devil. I can open the Qur’an to any random page and read something about death and hellfire to the infidels. I had overlooked it in the past, because I was concentrating more on the rituals and basic concepts of Islam. I failed to look at the core of the religion which I feel is based on evil. I think the Islamic faith is a wolf in sheep’s clothing. To some people it looks very wholesome and good from the
outside, but at the same time produces terrorists and extremists who will die trying to kill anyone who is not a Muslim.


Please do not think that I feel that all Muslims are evil Satan worshippers, because this is far from the truth. Many Muslims I know are some of the kindest and loving people I have ever met. I love my husband’s family and know that their hearts’ are filled with the best intentions. I truly believe that they, along with millions of other Muslims, think that they are worshipping God.


Hmm... believe me, I want to see the vast majority of Muslims as being peaceful and tolerant. But pretty much all I hear are protests and claims. The good Muslims of the world must act immediately to cleanse their faith of all of the negative elements or at least leave it, becoming apostates, if that proves impossible.

After all, the Koran says what it says. And it is what the Koran says which prompted Salman Rushdie to write "The Satanic Verses".

How about having Islam evolve and adapt to the modern world? I know that Christianity has. And if Christians can allow their faith to adapt, so therefore can Muslims.

I'm actually concerned for the Muslim people all over the world. I hope they can recover from the diseases which afflict their faith: hatred, intolerance and a culture of brutal violence and murder. No one can claim to be "good" if they unquestioningly, unconditionally, completely worship a faith with these deleterious elements.

The status quo is not an option.